CalFresh Assistance



Did you know? Students can qualify to receive CalFresh.

What is Cal Fresh?  The CalFresh Program, formerly known as Food Stamps and federally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), can add to your food budget to put healthy and nutritious food on the table. The program issues monthly electronic benefits that can be used to buy most foods at many markets and food stores. The amount of the benefit is based on the size of your household, your income, and your bills. CalFresh benefits come on a plastic card, called the Golden State Advantage Card, which you can use just like a bank card at most food stores. 

The CalFresh Program helps to improve the health and well-being of qualified households and individuals by providing them a means to meet their nutritional needs.  This is a Federal Funded Program and only permanent residents or citizens can qualify for the program.  Parents with children who are citizens can apply on their child’s behalf.

Here is a list of where Calfresh is accepted in your area.

How do I apply?

You can apply online at the CalFresh website or apply with one of the CalFresh advocates who can help to answer any questions that you might have regarding the application process. The advocate hours for this quarter are listed below. It is recommended that you begin your CalFresh applications with our partners below or any organizations who can provide you with one on one assistance.   If you began your application online on your own, the Santa Barbara Food Bank Advocates would not be able to assist you, please contact the Isla Vista Youth Projects.

Why choose an advocate?

  • They can help you do a prescreening to see if you would qualify.
  • Walk you through step by step on how to apply.
  •  Can support you with follow up on your case.
  • They have experience with work on student cases.  Student have different financial and living situation that can be confusing for folks who have not work on student applications.

Calfresh prescreening and application assistance :

**If you would like assistance with the application and would like to expedite your process please make sure to bring a copy of all the information listed at the bottom of this page.**

On Campus CalFresh Advocates Hours:

You can also call the Isla Vista Youth Projects at (805) 685-6900 to make an appointment and get in person assistance. For more information on what the Youth Projects offers click here.  They are located by Isla Vista Elementary School and is in biking distance.

Summer 2017 Hours

Our CalFresh Advocates will be working remotely and on campus this summer. Please fill out this form with your information and the CalFresh Advocates will contact you:

Note: Over the phone application assistance is available by appointment on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, see AS foodbank website for appointment request form.

On Campus

Mondays       12:00-3:30 pm OFAS

Tuesdays       6:30-8:30 pm IV Food Co-Op

Wednesdays  12:30-4:00 pm AS Food Bank

Thursdays      6:30 – 8:30 pm IV Food Co-Op


Please take a moment to review this information before application.

Have questions? Email Marilyn at

In order to be eligible to apply for Calfresh as a student you must:

  • Be a US citizen or permanent resident
  • Be 18 yrs of age or older and not living with your parents (unless 22, then ok)
  • Meet at least ONE of 3 requirements listed below:
    • Have been awarded work study at some point in time during the 2015-2016/ 2016-2017 academic year OR
    • Working a minimum of 20 hours/week OR
    • Are a part of EOP/EOPS

If you are eligible to apply you may complete your application with the assistance of our advocates at the ASFB starting Fall Quarter.

What do I need to bring to complete an application? (optional)

 If you wish to expedite your application process please bring a copy of all of the following documents. Have questions or confuse about the documents? Bring as many of the document below as you can and the advocates can help you guide you through the rest.

1) A photo ID ( California or Student ID)

2) Proof of units (quarter schedule with name)

3) Financial Aid Award letter

4) Work-study award verification OR proof of EOP (registration tab of GOLD).

5) Social security card (For permanent residents, bring a copy of the front and back of the green card)

6) Proof of residency (anything with your name in your current address)

7) Recent Bank Statement

8) Rent Receipt (Barc statement for UC housing or first page of lease for local residents)

8) Utility Bill or Cell Phone Bill

9) If you are working, bring dated check stub for the last 30 days.



Comments are closed